This local delicacy is one of the easiest Nigerian meals to prepare, and one of my favorite dishes as well. Yams are not only an excellent source of fiber but also high in potassium and manganese, which are important for supporting bone health, growth, metabolism, and heart function. With your writing pads and jotter, I present to you the ingredients, for porridge yam… Tada!
Ingredients for porridge yam
Tuber of yam
1 cup of palm oil
Scotch bonnet (Red) peppers
2 medium onions, 1 to be sliced, 1 to be blended
Locust beans(ukpaka) optional
beef (chopped in little potions)
Dried fish (shredded)
Seasoning cubes; Maggi/Knorr
Salt to taste
- Wash the beef and fish. Season your beef and dried fish add some salt, seasoning cube, and sliced onions put it in a cooking pot and turn on the burner. Add a very little water, almost nothing – cover pot tight and allow it cook with the steam for about 25 minutes.
- Roughly blend the red pepper together with crayfish and onion Set these aside.
- Peel, wash and cut the yam to your desired chunk sizes. Put them in another pot and put a little water, just a little below the yam. Cover the pot and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pluck, wash with salt and shred the scent leaves.
- After the yam has gotten a good boil, add the blended mixture, stir-in the beef and dried fish, add seasoning cubes and cook till yam is done. Add salt to taste – adjust for seasoning and spices, if needed. Add some locust beans (optional) Stir very well and cook at high heat for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
For those of us that don’t like protocol, here’s a quick method
- Peel, wash and cut the yam to your desired chunk sizes, and put it in a pot with water just a bit above the yam.
- Roughly blend the red pepper together with crayfish and onion
- Add the blended mixture, seasoning cubes, as well as your red oil. Add salt to taste.
- Cook till the yam is done, add the scent leaves just before you turn off the burner.
(Meat, dried fish, locust beans are optional). Enjoy!
If you tried out this recipe let me know how it turned out. do you have a different method for preparing this dish? Share with us. Sign up for new updates, kindly share with your friends both online and offline. The more the merrier . See you soon.